In this course, you’ll learn how to draw more effectively and confidently by using artistic techniques and drawing methods including
- timed gesture drawing
- timed contour drawing
- drawing from touch
- drawing as response to music
- continuous line drawing
- 1-point and 2-point linear perspective
- reductive charcoal method
- drawing ellipses to show angle and depth
- still life drawing
Learn by Drawing Along
You’ll understand how to add value or lighting and tonality to your drawings, including using blending, stippling, hatching, and cross-hatching. You’ll also learn how to add depth to drawings using various techniques. You can then post photos or scans of your drawings and post them to the discussion forum for critique.
This course is taught by Jon Seals, an accomplished artist who has had work exhibited in various venues, has curated various visual art shows, and has taught visual art at the high school and university levels. Jon Seals has an MFA in Painting from Savannah College of Art and Design and an MAR from Yale University.
Enroll now and start improving your drawings!
Basic supplies needed to follow along include pencils for most lessons, as well as charcoal drawing tools for a few lessons. A sample drawing kit is shown and described in the lecture on materials.
Skills Learned in this Course
- Draw more confidently and effectively.
- Use various drawing methods to create interesting drawings.
- Apply creativity and drawing techniques to create interesting drawings.
- This course is for beginners who want to learn how to draw more effectively and creatively.
- This course is not for accomplished artists who have an MFA in drawing or painting, since they presumably already have been guided through the process of effective drawing techniques and principles.
Jon Seals is an artist, teacher, and curator. He holds a M.A.R. from Yale Divinity School and Yale Institute of Sacred Music and a M.F.A. in Painting from Savannah College of Art and Design. His essays, reviews, and works of art have been published in ArtPulse Magazine, Letters Literary Art Journal, Palimpsest Magazine, and Reflections Magazine at Yale Divinity School among others. Jon has exhibited his artwork in solo and group art exhibitions in galleries and at colleges throughout the United States and curated several art exhibitions at Yale’s Institute of Sacred Music.
Get Started Learning and Drawing
Learn more and enroll in this course!